Thursday, August 4, 2016

Timeless Passions




My father-in-law purchased this Star Sapphire between 1948-49 In Java, Indonesia.  He was a young Marine, and stationed in Indonesia at the time, and with a twenty-four hour pass decided to move about freely in the village of Java, and see the sights.There it was in the shop window; sterling silver ring band, looking very masculine, with this handsome sapphire perfectly mounted in the center, as it should be, for 328,700 Rupiah [equivalent to $25.00 American currency]. My father-in-law purchased the ring and wore it when off-duty for a year or two and then placed the ring in a jewelry box for safe keeping.  In 1985 he gifted it to his son, my husband, and my husband placed the ring in a jewelry box for safe keeping.  In 2006 my husband took the sapphire to a jeweler and had the sapphire removed from the ring band and placed in a white gold setting [my favorite, white gold] with a white gold chain.  It is a beautiful 70+ year old stone!  My husband did a romantic thing! He did good. My husband's love and creativity brought his father's sapphire into the creation of a beautiful family heirloom piece. Each generation in our family from here forward will be gifted the necklace, and will be able to enjoy the history of the sapphire, and how their father, grandfather, great-grandfather restructured a man's ring into a lovely woman's necklace for his wife; their mother, grandmother, great-grandmother. Jewelry lasts forever, and with the gifting of this sapphire to each consecutive generation, it becomes a Timeless Passion.



Recipes that have been passed down through the generations I refer to
as hand-me-down recipes, and recipes we exchange with friends during our individual generations as hand-me-around recipes. My Mom as a young Navy Officer wife exchanged recipes with other Navy Officer wives, and this recipe today is one of those Mom received from another military wife that is approximately 45+ years old, and it was passed to me. This recipe qualifies as a hand-me-around and a hand-me-down recipe. The sharing of recipes from friend- to- friend and from mother-to-daughter is a Timeless Passion.  Through the care of writing the recipes down and sharing the recipes generously we have all participated in a time honored tradition that has allowed us to provide nutritious and flavorful food from one generation to the next.


I have renamed the recipe and changed some of the ingredients up.  Original name; Beef In Casserole.  [I prepare half the recipe these days for my husband and I.] Here is the full recipe. 

                                                       Spaghetti Maximus
2 lbs. ground beef
4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. sugar
2 cans [16 oz.]  crushed tomatoes
2 cans [8 oz.] tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic [crushed]
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
Pepper to taste
2-3 oz. cream cheese
2 [5oz.] packages of thin spaghetti [cooked]
2 c. sour cream
12 green onions [sliced]
2 c. grated cheddar cheese [I use Monterey jack]

1. Cook ground beef until it just starts to lose its pink color.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, garlic cloves.
3. When mixture reaches bubbly stage add cooked spaghetti, sour cream, cream cheese, and sliced green onions.
4. Pour into casserole dish that has been buttered or sprayed with non-stick spray.
5. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
6.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes with a foil cap on.

Approximate servings; 8-10





In our geographical location in Eastern Washington wheat, barley and rapeseed [for canola oil] is grown.  It is dry farming. Our particular wheat, I have been told by our farmers, goes for pasta production.  I love pasta. I love watching the wheat, barley and rapeseed being planted.  I enjoy watching it grow, and as August/September approaches harvest will begin.  As local farmers take care of their harvest, I start pulling out all my hand-me-down & hand-me-around pasta recipes I have gleaned over the years.  I hope you enjoy the Timeless Passion tradition of gathering and sharing recipes too.



Rooney & I share the same sentiment of not talking when we are enjoying an extraordinary moment such as; a sunrise, and here we are getting ready to watch a sunset together.  Another Timeless Passion, not talking through a beautiful moment; yet being mindful of the moment, enjoying each second together. Rooney understands & respects it!  I love this about her!


Enjoy Spaghetti Maximus & all your Timeless Passions,
V.......











No comments:

Post a Comment