Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Chibcha ruana

Creating something warm and inviting from a food dish, to a knitted hat, or blanket and then sharing it, gifting it, is an expression of ourselves.
I added a few ingredients to my Mom's basic chili recipe.  The basic chili recipe is calming, and gentle, and when Mom prepared and served it to the family it made us feel warm and full.  Preparing and serving our family a meal is an expression of our love.
This chili recipe is now being enjoyed by my grandchildren.  That makes four generations being loved by the preparer, and four generations feeling warm and full.
I have named it "Charming Chili".  Here is my recipe;

Charming Chili

3 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, diced {I used Walla Walla Sweet}
2 jalapenos, seeds & membranes removed, diced
2 cans chili beans with juice
2 quarts Tomato Juice
1 32 oz. crushed tomatoes
1/4 c. chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

I made a double batch of Charming Chili yesterday.  I used 2 of my stock pots.  I froze 1/2 of the chili to use another time.  It freezes well.  I loaded two one gallon storage bags half full.  Expelled excess air as I sealed the bags, and laid them in the freezer flat.  When thawing the chili it usually takes 30 minutes to one hour to get the frozen chili soft enough to place in a saucepan for reheating.

Directions: Brown ground beef and saute onions and jalapenos until beef just starts to lose its pink color.  Drain excess grease.  Add 2 cans chili beans, can of crushed tomatoes, and 2 quarts tomato juice.  Stir until blended.  Add 1/4 c. of chili powder.  Stir until blended.  Bring to low boil, turn down heat until chili simmers.  Chili will start to thicken, and it is ready to serve with your favorite toppings.  I simmer Charming Chili for 2 hours on low.  I have also prepped Charming Chili for my slow cooker and set it on low for six hours when my schedule is real busy.
My father brought to me a ruana years ago from Bogota, Columbia.  It is a poncho like garment made from virgin wool with colors  that are natural colors of the wool.  Makes me feel warm when I am out early taking pictures.  The ruana reminds me of Dad bringing it home and gifting it to me and saying, "To keep you warm!"
Rooney is modeling it quite well for her photo shoot this week!  The expression on her face says, " I do not know why I am wearing this, but I love Mom and she loves me....and....and....I will have a snack in a few minutes!"
Rooney's personality is warm.  She makes me feel warm and loved every time she looks at me.  Rooney's brown eyes can look amber in the sunshine, and can intensify her facial expressions.  When she looks at me during these times, I feel understood.  As light is important to photography, light is revealing in Rooney's Doberwoman face and eyes.  Just when I think I have seen all her expressions and feelings the autumn light shows me yet one more; being understood by a sweet, beautiful canine friend.  At that moment, I feel utter bliss!



Enjoy a bowl of Charming Chili this week.....be warm!
V..........




No comments:

Post a Comment