Thursday, September 1, 2016

To Anchovy or to not....

One of my favorite things is a good Caesar Dressing.  Some may think that all Caesar dressings taste the same.  I have found that the fresher the parmesan, the more full bodied the dressing tastes.  I have always preferred the Caesar with anchovy.  I now find my new Caesar dressing without the chopped anchovy exceptionally good.  Using store bought Worcestershire sauce is believed to still give you a hint of anchovy, and yet the ingredients have been guessed at, because, of course, the recipe is a secret!
Bit of trivia moment: The origin of Caesar Salad is said to be created by an Italian Restauranteur in Tijuana, Mexico in 1924.
Store bought Worcestershire sauce ingredients believed to be include all of the following; barley malt vinegar, Tamarind extract, spirit vinegar, onions, molasses, garlic, sugar, spice, salt, anchovies, and flavorings....
The flavorings are believed to be; soy sauce, lemons, pickles, and peppers.
In a homemade version of Worcestershire sauce the ingredients typically are; apple cider vinegar, garlic clove, fish sauce, honey, molasses, tamarind paste, onion powder, chili powder, & ground
clove.
My Caesar Dressing

1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sour cream
3 Tbsp.- 1/4 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of kosher salt
pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/4 c. fresh parmesan, grated
Whisk ingredients together.  Use higher amount of olive oil for thinner dressing.  Refrigerate.

Ta-da! Wedge salad with Caesar Dressing for two for dinner.  One of our favorite simple dinners we have together.  My husband Pete was the taste tester for this dressing.  He prefers a bold dressing.  He likes this Caesar Dressing the best, he says.
My homemade croutons are made with a loaf of French bread, the amount you see in the lead picture for this weekly blog is 1/4 of a loaf.  I cut the loaf in half lengthwise and then cut each half in half, and then slice each half lengthwise and then cut widthwise to makes cubes. [Freeze the rest in storage bag until you are ready to use them.] This way you will have crust on each cube which creates sturdier croutons.  Then I put the cubes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt; all to taste preferences. Then I toast them in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, tossing them once halfway through the cooking time.  I like the  bigger croutons.  They are crisp on the outside and slightly soft on the inside which makes for good chew.  Delicious!

Like my Caesar dressing being a favorite, so is particularly moments with Rooney, which these moments are increasing, because she is an only canine baby in our home.  I adore how she emulates and performs to please me.  Dobies are highly intelligent, and when it looks like they are pleasing us, they are also using their brains, because they love to think, and I believe it pleases them too!  I also believe this brain processing gives Dobies a hit of dopamine, when the synapses start firing!  Rooney and I scoured as many Caesar dressings as we could to get a general idea what is out there already.  Then we moved to the kitchen for experimentation.  Rooney was mentally with me the whole way!
When I declared success with an AHA!  She yipped in excitement and then sat swiftly and determinedly, and ....smiled!  :) I was not camera ready for that smile, so I pulled the following picture from Rooney's puppy album.  She is 16 weeks young in this photo!




Enjoy My Caesar Dressing & homemade croutons!
V........




















No comments:

Post a Comment