Saturday, September 3, 2016

Traditional & Conventional



My maternal Grandmother made this fried cornbread, and my Mother in turn created these delightful circles of cornbread deliciousness. I have been preparing fried cornbread for my family for some time.  I have tweaked it for my husband Pete and I in our retirement years.
I adore the memories that come with the preparing, and cooking of this fried cornbread.  It is a beautiful gold color with gorgeous toasted spots when completely cooked.
My Grandmother was a valuable member of our family and I felt valued by her.  My Grandmother's spirit was golden.  Everything about her was precious to me.  I have fond memories of eating this fried cornbread with my Grandmother and my family growing up.  Such a simple pleasure!
During my Grandmother's era, I imagine that this cornbread served as an alternative to biscuits.  It makes a delicious open-face egg sandwich, and is excellent with bean soup.  Basically a tasty and fun accompaniment to any meal of our choosing.
My grandchildren love these golden elliptical circles with butter and maple syrup! Yum!
I prepare 1/2 batch for Pete and I now.  Here is the full recipe and following the recipe are a few conventional ideas we do now when we prepare and eat fried cornbread along with a picture of the traditional open-face egg sandwich that is enjoyed as much as our new conventional fried cornbread delights.  I am calling this recipe; Essence of Gold.

                                                            Essence of Gold

1 1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. cornmeal [yellow]
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4-1 1/2 c. 1 % Milk
2 large eggs
1/3 c. canola oil

Preheat griddle to 350 degrees or stove-top griddle medium.  Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients.  Combine dry & wet until completely combined.  Using a ladle pour batter onto griddle in circles in the size you prefer. Wait for bubbles to form and burst before flipping the gold circles over for approximately 1-2 minutes.  Cooking time will depend on how thick you choose to make the cornbread circles.  I make mine as thin as I can.

Note: My Grandmother & Mother used water in place of milk.  When my children were younger I used whole milk.  I have also used soy milk.

continued to page [2].......

No comments:

Post a Comment