I start yearning for a slice of banana bread when the crisp, cool air of Fall arrives. Banana bread can be and is made anytime of the year and yet it seems to be most flavorful in the Fall. What a fabulous aroma baking banana bread makes in our homes. The nutty, slightly lemony, and the distinct roasted banana smell in a moist, flavorful quick bread batter is bliss in a slice! Here is the recipe for Banana Bread Extraordinaire;
Banana Bread Extraordinaire:
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. melted butter [cooled]
1 c. mashed bananas [ two large or four small]
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. walnuts
Oven temperature: 325 degrees
Bake time: 50-60 minutes, until toothpick in center comes out clean....
Pan Size: 9x5x3 inch loaf pan
1. Spray loaf pan with canola non-stick spray.
2. Whisk butter and eggs until gritty feel and sound stops. Add lemon zest, and stir until well blended.
3. Mash bananas in separate bowl. Stir mashed bananas into egg sugar mixture. Stir until well blended.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together in a third bowl. Toss in walnuts and mix well.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
6. Pour into loaf pan and smooth top of batter with the back of a spoon.
7. Lift and drop loaf pan a few times to settle batter in pan, and level batter evenly. Lift and drop the pan no more than a few inches above your working area.
8. Store banana bread in foil and fridge. The first time you slice, slice the loaf in middle of the loaf, and slice on either half on the inside of the loaf in 1/4-1/2 inch slices. The perfect thickness for each slice. Place the two halves of banana bread back together and wrap in foil. It stays more moist than slicing on the end of the loaf. Try it! I promise you will not change your slicing technique back to the former way ever.
Fall; a promise of harvest!
Rooney; a promise of never-ending love!
Enjoy a slice of Banana Bread Extraordinaire this week!