I love tortillas....homemade tortillas are the best. The flavor is so much more keen....the flavor is what you want it to be when you bite into a tortilla. Yes store bought is quick and fast, and yet have you noticed the flavor seems to be weak?! I have tried so many different varieties of store bought tortillas trying to get that wonderful fresh cooked flavor back. So I am declaring victory with this recipe. These tortillas also have the right amount of chew. The store bought again are tough. Here is a quick recipe to give a try. I promise you will like these. You can change up the flour used to make them anyway you like. You can change up the oil or shortening anyway you like as well.
Delicious beautiful quick tortillas:
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. warm water
1. Sift flour, salt, & baking powder together in medium bowl.
2. Add canola oil and mix into the flour mixture with your hands. Yes your hands! Turns out much better. The mixing is complete when the oil is distributed through all the flour mixture and flour mixture has small clumps in it.
3. Add the warm water 1/4 c. at a time. Mix in with a fork. Slowly add second 1/4 c. of warm water until the mixture comes together in a ball. You want the flour mixture totally moistened, but not sticky...not overly sticky.
4. Form your dough into a bowl and place in a clean bowl misted with a little non-stick canola spray. Cover with saran and let it rest for 30 minutes. Can rest for an hour as well.
5. After the rest time roll dough into a log 15" long. Cut into 6 pieces for large tortillas, eight pieces for small tortillas.
6. Lightly flour your surface and start to form each dough pieces into a circles.
7. Use a rolling pin or tortilla press to bring the tortillas to the thickness and circumference you would like them to be.
8. Using a griddle [electric or stove top griddle pan] on medium high heat, and sprayed with non-stick canola spray toast each tortilla 2-3 minutes on each side. Reapply non-stick spray between toasting of tortillas.
9. Serve with your choice of taco meat, fajita meat, or by themselves as a side to soup or salad.
If adding red peppers, jalapenos, or any other flavor ingredient to your tortillas, put the flavor ingredients chopped finely into your flour mixture before you add the water, to guard against the dough becoming too tough by over mixing.
I think you will find these Delicious beautiful quick tortillas tender with the perfect amount of chew.
I had six large tortillas including the 30 minute rest time in 45 minutes, and that includes the toasting time. I even impressed myself with how fast six large tortillas came to be.
Rooney had a quick layback while I made tortillas. When she opened her eyes she seemed surprised how fast the time went!
Enjoy Delicious beautiful quick tortillas this week!