After making the homemade flour tortillas last week, I decided to make the homemade corn tortillas. I will say Wow! They are good. Delicious. Yummy. One thing I had to do different was brush canola oil on my griddle pan in between toasting each tortilla. The corn tortillas did not toast well with the non-stick canola spray. Here is the recipe:
Wow! Corn Tortillas:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. corn meal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. water
1. Sift flour, corn meal, salt, & baking powder into a medium sized bowl.
2. Add canola oil and mix with your hands. Once the flour/corn meal mixture starts to have small clumps you can add water and mix to blend.
3. Turn out on lightly floured surface and lightly knead for one minute to make dough smooth and form into a ball and let rest covered with a bowl or clean kitchen towel.
3. The rest period can be between 30 minutes to one hour.
4. Form dough into a log about 15" inches long. Divide dough into sixths for large tortillas or eighths for small tortillas.
5. Form each dough portion into a circle. Use a rolling pin or tortilla press to form tortillas.
6. Toast each tortilla on medium high heat on stove top griddle or electric griddle. Toast each side 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve with your favorite taco fixings and enjoy!
Rooney & I are both surprised, delightfully so, how delicious homemade tortillas are. I just do not think any of us will go back to store bought once we make our own and taste these delicious tortillas. I promise you will simply love the flavor. The extra best part is they are so easy to make!
Enjoy Wow! Corn Tortillas this week!